In 1944 a new specification of wagon was agreed between the private owners, the Petroleum Board and British Railways. The major difference from the 1927 design being that the saddle and cradle timbers, as well as the end stanchions were abandoned, opting instead to anchor the tank to the underframe by a central steel anchor of riveted or welded construction - the so-called anchor mounting. The supporting saddles were also fabricated from steel.
A change also took place with the drawgear, in order to eliminate the use of drawgear cradles which were difficult to maintain. The drawgear springs were placed behind each headstock and this design became known as short drawgear. Charles Roberts was one builder of vehicles of this type using mild steel welded barrel.
(Information from - PETROLEUM TANK WAGONS OF BRITAIN by R.TOURRET)
The majority were built 1949 and into the early 1950s with Class B tanks being the predominant type to be built. They remained in service up to the early 1970s. A few examples making it into preservation along with several of the larger 20 ton version.
- Extremely detailed and accurate body shell and chassis
- Many separately added fine details, including, where applicable, long and short fillers, correct filler position, with and without ladders and platforms and where relevant heating pipes
- Sprung metal buffers
- Metal sprung coupling hook and three link coupling
- Finely profiled wheels with sprung axles for smooth running even on uneven track
- Superbly applied livery
|Class ||14t Class B Tank Wagon |
|Livery ||Fina |
|Running Number ||168 |
|Couplings ||3-Link |
|Paint Finish || |